This is our fresh take on aubergine parmigiana that is both healthier and easier than traditional recipes, but doesn't sacrifice on that delicious sumptuous flavour that this dish is so revered for.
We've baked rather than fried the aubergine and layered it with our Fresh Basil & Tomato Sauce along with parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
Serve with a green salad and some crusty bread or fresh pasta. This will keep in the fridge for several days so make extra as the flavours develop over time making for fabulous leftovers!
Healthy Aubergine Parmesan
- 2 medium sized aubergines
- Olive Oil
- 1 jar of Fresh Basil & Tomato Sauce
- 2 x mozzarella balls
- 150g grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped Fresh Basil leaves, to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 220C
- Slice the aubergines in half lengthways, then cut criss-cross pattern across the tops, cutting down ¾ way into the flesh but not all the way through. Brush olive oil over the tops of each half of aubergine and add some salt and pepper. Put on silver foil on a baking tray and then in the oven for approx. 40 mins. Once softened and starting to turn golden brown, remove from the oven.
- Spread a small amount of the Basil and Tomato sauce on to the bottom of a baking dish.
- Then place the cooked aubergines on top. Scatter over the mozzarella making sure all evenly distributed. Then follow with the rest of the tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle over the grated parmesan and bake in the oven for a further 30 mins.
- Leave to cool a little and then Scatter with torn basil leaves before serving.