Here's a whole grain salad that makes for a perfect quick lunch and is endlessly versatile. We've made things easy by using pre-cooked red rice, quinoa, and freekah, but feel free to cook up your own grains if you prefer (bulgar wheat, pearled barley, or brown rice would all work wonderfully in addition to or instead of the grains we've used). The addition of grilled halloumi and our Thyme & Butternut Dip make this a complete meal with a fresh herb kick.
Three Grain Salad with Courgettes, Halloumi and Thyme & Butternut Dip
- 1 pack pre-cooked Red Rice & Quinoa
- 1 pack pre-cooked Freekah
- 2 tbs Olive oil
- 1 x pack halloumi, sliced
- 1 x medium Courgette, sliced and cut into quarters
- 200g Broad beans, boiled in salted water for 5 mins and cooled.
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 x large salad onions, chopped finely
- 1 x chilli, de-seeded and chopped finely
- 1 x small handful Fresh Parsley, chopped finely
- 1 x small handful Fresh Fennel fronds, or herbs of your choice, chopped finely
- Salt & Pepper
- A Little Bit Fresh Thyme & Butternut Dip
- A Little Bit Fresh Parsley & Red Onion Dressing
Heat 1 tbs of the Olive oil in a large frying pan and saute the courgettes until starting to brown, add the garlic and cook for a further 2 mins. Then add the grains and broad beans and stir until heated through. In a griddle pan or frying pan cook the halloumi (no need to add any oil), until it starts to turn golden brown. Remove the grains and put onto plates. Sprinkle over the chopped spring onions, chilli, herbs and add salt and pepper to taste. Add a good drizzle of A Little Bit Red Onion & Parley Dressing. Finally top with the griddled Halloumi and a good dollop of A Little Bit Food Co. Fresh Thyme & Butternut Dip.
Top tip: Make it vegan by omitting the halloumi! Try adding cooked broccoli, rocket leaves, blanched french beans, or even grilled tofu! Remember all of our dips are vegan so feel free to dollop with gusto!