Our spicy lentil bolognese is the ultimate healthy vegan high protein supper. We've used our Sage and Spicy Tomato Sauce to give it a kick, but if you're in a pinch you can also use a tin of tomatoes and dried chilli flakes. We've also included a big dose of portobello mushrooms for that hit of umami.
In addition to being high in protein, this vegan bolognese is also low in fat, packed with fiber, and full of nutritious veggies. Add some whole grain pasta or spiralised courgettes and you have the perfect healthy meal that works great as leftovers, too. And there are plenty of ways to get creative with the leftovers! For example...
- Use a stuffing for a savoury pie or in filo pastry
- Use as a filling for vegan lasagna
- Serve in a jacket potato
- Use as a pizza topping
- Use as a filling for stuffed peppers (or any other vegetable)
Vegan Spicy Lentil Bolognese
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, finely chopped
- 100 g dried green lentils
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 1 jar A Little Bit Sage and Spicy Tomato Sauce
- Pasta of choice or spiralised courgettes
- Fresh basil
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the carrots, onions, garlic, celery, bay leaves, and thyme sprigs. Cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the lentils, tomato purée, vegetable stock, and A Little Bit Sage and Spicy Tomato Sauce.
- Season with a bit of salt and pepper, reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. You may need to add a bit of water to make sure the lentils stay covered.
- Serve with your favourite pasta or spiralised courgette, garnished with some fresh basil.