Everybody loves pizza and this Greek style pizza with courgettes, olives, and feta is one of our favourites of the summer, when courgettes seem in almost endless supply. Our fresh herb tomato sauces are a great alternative to plain passatta pizza sauce, and of course the topping possibilities are endless.
Here we've gone with our A Little Bit Fresh Basil & Tomato Sauce to compliment fresh thinly sliced courgette along with salty olives and feta. For even more Greek flare finish with a sprinkle of fresh oregano.
If you're short on time or have more dough than you have toppings, our Fresh Basil & Tomato sauce also makes a fabulous margherita pizza. All you need is a bit of mozzarella cheese and some fresh basil to finish. You can't go wrong!
For the homemade pizza dough
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose or white bread flour, plus more for kneading
- 1/2 cup polenta
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as necessary
- Put the flour, polenta, yeast, salt, and olive oil in a food processor. Turn the machine on and add 250ml water through the feed tube. Run the food processor for about 30 seconds, until the mixture forms a slightly sticky but manageable ball. If your dough seems to dry or wet, and a dash more water or flour (about 1 Tablespoon at a time) and process until you're happy with the dough.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and onto the kitchen counter. Knead a little until the dough forms a ball. Place in an oiled bowl and cover with clingfilm. Let rest at room temperature until the dough doubles in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and divide into balls (two balls will make two largish pizzas, or divide into even more balls to make smaller pizettes!). Place the balls in a floured roasting tin or baking tray and cover with clingfilm or a damp cloth. Let rest for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat up your BBQ or oven to as hot as it will go, and get on with the pizzas...
Greek Pizza with Courgettes, Olives, and Feta
- 1 quantity of homemade pizza dough (see recipe above)
- 1 courgette, sliced thin
- Sliced black olives
- Diced onion
- Buffalo mozzarella
- Feta cheese
- A Little Bit Fresh Basil & Tomato Sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh basil, oregano, and/or rocket
- Preheat your bbq or oven with a pizza stone (if you have one) to 250 C. If you don't have a pizza stone, put a piece of tin foil directly on the bars of the oven or barbecue.
- Roll out your balls of dough on a lightly floured surface, using your hands or a rolling pin. The final pizza base should be about 1/2 cm thick.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the base. Add your toppings - remember less is more so don't go crazy! Tear over a few pieces of mozzarella then crumble over some feta. Drizzle with olive oil, and add a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Use a pizza peel or thin cutting board to transfer your pizza to the baking stone. If using a bbq, cover the bbq. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the pizzas are golden and crispy. Serve with a garnish of fresh basil, oregano, and/or rocket.