It's worth keeping a jar of our our Fresh Sage & Spicy Tomato Sauce on hand to make this comforting casserole with a kick. A hearty combo of sausage, lentils, and butternut squash, this casserole is easy to put together and tastes even better the next day, making it great for leftovers. For a vegan version, omit the sausages for an equally yummy meat free alternative.
Feel free to try this recipe with our other sauces, each of which offer a different flavour dimension with fresh herbs. Click here to buy our sauces online.
Sausage and lentil casserole
- 1 tbs Olive oil
- 1 x 300g puy lentils
- 2 x packs sausages
- 2 medium sized onions
- 4 x garlic cloves
- 1 ½ pt chicken stock
- 1 jar A Little Bit Fresh Sage & Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 2 large Carrots, sliced
- 2 x red peppers, de-seeded and diced.
- ½ large butternut squash, diced
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh Sage (optional)
- Flat leaf Parsley
- Fry the sausages in a pan until browned ( they do not have to be cooked through). Set aside.
- Add the oil to the pan, heat and then add the chopped onion. Cover and saute on a low heat until translucent. Then add the carrot, peppers and butternut squash. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add A Little Bit Sage and Spicy Tomato Sauce and stir well. Now add the lentils, salt and pepper and the chicken stock.
- Add the sausages to the casserole. Bring it to the boil and simmer quickly for 5 minutes. Then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Sprinkle over some chopped parsley and sage before serving. Great served with a green salad and some fresh bread.