This recipe for braised eggs in tomato sauce makes for the perfect weekend breakfast. The eggs are essentially poached in tomato sauce - we've used our Oregano, Olive & Tomato Sauce but you could easily use any of our sauces or even a tin of tomatoes and some fresh herbs if that's all you've got to hand. We've added peppers, courgette, and spinach to up the veg. Serve with sourdough toast and a drizzle of good olive oil.
Braised Eggs in Tomato Sauce
- olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 courgette, cut into chunks
- a couple handfuls of spinach
- 1 jar of our Oregano, Olive & Tomato Sauce
- 4 eggs
- ricotta or mozzarella (optional)
- fresh herbs to garnish such as parsley, oregano, or basil
- Turn on the grill in your oven. Meanwhile, on the hob, heat up a large oven-proof pan on medium-high heat.
- Add a little bit of olive oil along with the peppers and courgette. Cook until they start to soften and char a bit.
- Add the spinach and tomato sauce and turn the heat down to medium. Let the sauce heat up then create 4 wells in the sauce. Crack each egg into each well.
- Cook for a few minutes until everything is bubbling and the eggs have cooked slightly underneath. Dot the egg mixture with dollops ricotta or torn pieces of mozzarella.
- Remove the pan and place under the grill. Grill until the eggs are set.
- Remove from the grill. Sprinkle on the fresh herbs and give everything a generous drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve at once with sourdough bread.
Note: If you don't have an oven-proof pan or prefer not to use the grill, you can finish the dish on the hob by covering the pan with a lid and cooking until the eggs have set.